WHAT? WHY? AND HOW?
and when was the art work produced?
and Design Features of the Work Link
to Pages about Design and Composition
visual elements: shape, surface, size, mass, color, tone, texture, line, movement, space, light/shadow; or design elements e.g.: balance, contrast, rhythm, harmony, emphasis, figure/field, repetition, tension, movement, etc
in Space Does the art suggest
2 dimensional or 3 dimensional space?
Features, and Some Questions to Analyze Design in a Picture
Choose two of the Art Pictures on display. Use the information checklists below to help you to write about your reactions to the pictures. Use one work sheet for each picture you use. A third painting may be analyzed for extra credit.
This work sheet goes with picture # ________, by _______________, called ______________
1. In Your own words: What do you find interesting about this picture?
2. What does the artist try to do in this picture? (More than one may apply)
a. Tries to record an actual happening or event
b. Tries to record an imaginary happening or event
c. Tries to express a special feeling or emotion
d. Express the effects of color or form in an interesting and pleasing way
3. The idea and form of the picture images probably come from:
a. A personal experience
b. An event from history or literature
c. A random or accidental happening by the artist's hand
d. The use of symbols which represent other things or ideas.
4. The artist's use of detail in the picture:
a. The picture seems detailed to me
b. The artist seems to avoid details
c. Breaks up the main objects with lots of detail
d. Draws carefully with a brush to make details
e. Making details very decorative or ‘designy'
5. How does the artist use color?
a. Emphasizing very rich bright colors
b. Limits color choices and uses only a few select colors
c. Does not try to match the colors of nature very closely
d. Seems to distort natural colors or choose odd ones instead
6. How does the artist use space?
a. a deep 3-dimensional space, it seems to go back into the distance
b. space is shallow or flat, it does not show much depth
c. there is a sense that objects are cut outs
7. What does the artist seem to be most interested in expressing? (You supply the proper choice and explain what gave you that conclusion)
8. What can this picture teach you, by making you aware of something?
Interpretation of the Subject; Arrangement or Composition; Control of Media (Technique);
9. I rate this picture as(1-10) Imagination, (1-10)Meaning, (1-10)Skills, (1-10)Composition
Overall interest rating, (How does this picture interest you?) (1-10)
10. Why __________________________________________________________
Re. Character: What is a trait that you value highly in a friend?